Sunday, February 20, 2011

Be Diligent

PhotobucketThis weekend I attended with my daughter and some other friends from church a Mom Heart Conference.  You may ask why would a 53 year old woman with 2 grown kids want to attend a conference with young moms, well because of my 6 wonderful grandchildren.  The conference was lead by Sally Clarkson.  I read one of her books Mission of Motherhood a few months back and it touched my heart in a mighty way. As I read her words on what Gods mission was for women, I saw things in a new light and as tears flowed down my face, I knew that I did not truly fulfill my mission for motherhood while my children were young.  So why go to a conference where young mothers or soon to be new moms were there, because I can not go back and change the why I raised my kids but I can help teach and show my grandkids who God is and what His purpose is for their lives.  And He has a purpose for each one of His children.  His purpose for Moms is to raise their children to know Him and to pursue Him with all that they have.  All you have to do is look around you and you can see faimlies are falling apart.  There is no guidance in young peoples lives.  As Moms we need to be diligent in teaching our children and our grandchildren to know who God is, to know His laws and show His love.  As we were told "If we don't teach our children God's law it will be forgotten.  We see it more and more everyday, people are drifting away from God, they don't know what God's word says they were never taught.  But we first as Moms have to know who God is and what He expects of us as Moms.  If we don't have a passion for Christ we can't pass it on to our children or our grandchildren.  There was so much more but this stuck out to me because raising my children I was not diligent enough.  Are you?  I will leave you with this:

Deuteronomy 6:4-7 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, The LORD is one!  You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  Your shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.

Let us all as Moms and Grandmothers be diligent in teaching and leading our little ones in the ways of the LORD our God.

7 comments:

  1. so glad you went with us!!! love you...your pictures and side stuff isn't showing up on my end.....is it there or is she still working on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Vicki! You're an awesome Mimi, and momma. Glad to have you mentoring us younger mommy's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a blessing to me to know you were at the conference! I'm looking forward to reading about what God is doing through you to bless the momma's you are in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing. Your post is exactly what I've been thinking about this past month. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful reminder to Grandmothers. Your job is not over when your children are "grown". We all keep growing, Grandmas, Mamas and children alike. We all need the prayers of Moms who have been where we are. Thank you so much for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki,
    I want to encourage you, as Grandmother's have a special and unique role and more influence than you can even imagine. I know this, because my grandmother (who just passed away at 91, a couple of years ago) was one of the single most important influences on me in my Christian faith. I lived for her for 1 year in my college life, after my grandfather passed away, and will always treasure that special time, watching her lead ladies bible studies in her home, go to prison ministries, and open her home to literally anyone who needed a place to stay or a meal. I remember many conversations about God around her breakfast table. I and MANY others are eternally grateful for her dedication to God and influence to us. None of us our perfect, but if our kids learn one thing from us, it should be our passion for our Lord and Savior. If we pass that on and get that right, everything else will fall into place, when He is #1. God bless you, not for your perfection, but for your faithfulness, and most of all for proclaiming HIS faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete